Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Finally, Something to Post About!

It seems like I’ve been stuck in neutral lately. I’ve been making such slow progress or no progress on my knitting projects. But last week I was able to knock out a couple quick projects and get back going on DD#1’s sweater. It feels good. Here are a couple things I finished.
A pair of fingerless mitts for a friend at church: My pattern (I’ll have it written up soon) in Claudia Handpaint, Twilight Some ornaments for the Christmas tree at work: Mini Hat (my pattern)Mini Mittens byAlice Rice from Knitting Digest (July 1999) A Reverse Bloom Flower Washcloth (from Weekend Knitting) I started on my December SAM socks. I picked the Harris Tweed pattern because I had seen it being knit by someone else and really liked the look of the pattern stitch for socks. It turned out to be a really good choice because it is an easy to memorize and quick to knit pattern. The yarn however is questionable. I knit the first sock and the flashing of the colors started to make me queasy. I got to the start of the heel and stopped. I put it away while I knit the ornaments and thought about what to do. I cast on the second sock. I used a different starting point and liked the effect much better. The heel on that sock is coming along nicely. If you're not familiar with what can happen when you use self striping or self patterning yarns and how starting at a different point can effect the outcome, I’ve included this short pictorial review of what happened.
I cast on sock one with the colors set up like this: I cast on sock two with the colors set up like this:
Here's what happened....the sock on the left is #1 and the sock on the right is #2…
I’m still deciding whether or not to frog sock #1. I put a question up on the SAM discussion board on ravelry and three knitters weighed in that they would probably frog… hmmm. I have knitting group tonight and might ask for an opinion there also, or I might wait and see how fast I knit the foot on sock #2 and decide what is the most practical thing to do. After all, it will mostly be hidden inside my pant leg anyway.
The progress on my daughter’s sweater, while feeling good and being worth noting does not make that exciting of a picture, so I will spare you that … (it’s on flickr if you are really that curious).
Oh and just for grins, if you want to make a mini-hat ornament, here’s the pattern: Mini- Hat Ornament Using worsted or sport weight and appropriate double point needles Cast on 36 stitches; join for working in round Work k1, p1 ribbing for 5 rounds Work stockinette stitch for 10 rounds (add stripes if desired) Begin crown decreases: Rd 1: *k4, k2tog; repeat from * to end (30 st) Rd 2: knit Rd 3: *K3, k2tog; repeat from * to end (24 st) Rd 4: knit Rd 5: *K2, k2tog; repeat from * to end (18 st) Rd 6: *K1, k2tog; repeat from * to end (12 st) Rd 7: *k2tog; repeat from * to end (6 st) Cut thread and draw through stitches, weave in ends. Embellish with pompom or tassel if desired

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

The ornaments are adoreable.

I wouldn't frog the sock, but then I don't find the pooling in the second sock any nicer than the pooling in the first sock. It's OK. Not beautiful, but it is OK.

SciFiTVFanGirl said...

Yay sweater!

Also, *hugs* glad to see you're posting again/making progress on your various projects.

Love you!