Monday, March 1, 2010

A Strong Finish

Well, I made it! I finished all three of my Olympic projects before the flame was extinguished. I had some concern about finishing in time after my second attempt to sew in the sleeves, but after some minor adjustments everything worked out just fine and I sewed the buttons on well before the flag was turned over to the Sochi contingent.

So, here are the results.

Pattern: Bi-Color Cables by Annie Modesitt (Inteweave Knits Winter 2005)
Yarn: Louet Gems sport in French Blue (dark blue) and Neptune (light blue)
Size 5 and six needles
Modifications:  The only modification I made was to substitute a knitted button for the crochet one.
Pattern: Silk Smoke by Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer
Yarn: Windy Valley Muskox Qiviuk (Pure Quiviut) Color 4001
Size 4 needles
Modifications: shorter length

I knew this would be shorter from the beginning and planned to knit until I ran out of yarn.  I think I could have squeezed out one more chart repeat with the yarn that broke in frogging, but didn't want to have to deal with weaving in ends to this lovely lace pattern. Although it ended up being about 11” instead of the 17” specified by the pattern, I am thrilled by the result and love how soft and squishy it turned out.

I already showed you the white anklets, so I won't do that again.  I have to say that I'm glad I took the challenge.  It was fun and as many other said, it did make me feel a little more connected to the games (and what games they were!) and it made the Olympics just a bit more exciting.

Welcome March and happy knitting!



SciFiTVFanGirl said...

Mom, that sweater is just beautiful, wow! Congrats on meeting your Olympic goals! :o)

Jackie E-S said...

How yummy your Silk Smoke looks. Congratulations. I have some of the qiviut/mulberry silk in that color (or at least close) - you've inspired me to get that yarn out and touch it.