Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Designing Fun

I found a picture of a cute door decoration in some decorating magazine. I didn’t like anything else in the magazine (too foo-foo fussy for my taste), so I cut the picture out and tossed the magazine. I think it was a special publication one.

So anyway, this has been on my mental knitting list for a little bit. The only problem is the magazine didn’t provide any DIY instructions and I don’t have any patterns for cabled mittens like the ones shown. Not that I don’t love a design challenge. So after mulling this over and a few “how hard can it be(s)” to fortify my courage, I dove in. Turns out; not too hard at all! I started with this idea, but no pattern. Figured out an estimated number of stitches loosely following a basic pattern, figured out the width needed for the cable and started knitting. I had to take a break from knitting to go buy the greenery part (my coupon was threatening to expire today), so I don’t have it all done yet, but here’s some progress photos.
Oh, and BTW, while knitting these, I decided this would be a fun pattern for wearable mittens, too! This is #1 of the five things on my Christmas knitting list. 2 of the other 4 will take less than a day to knit; the 3rd about 4 days and the 5th is the 3 week project; 9 more charity hats to knit as well. Of course since knitting is how I stay out of trouble these days, most of this is just a time management thing, not a time making thing. (But, I’ll be sure to keep you posted on my progress).

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, that's the cutest door decoration I've ever seen!!!! I want to make one too now. :)