Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday, Sunday

Between the weather I’m tired of having and hearing about and the craziness in the news lately, I find myself just wanting to curl up in a ball and hibernate along with the cats. I don’t know anyone currently attending NIU, but have several family members and friends with ties to the school and the Dekalb community. The whole incident is stunning, distressing, perplexing and just a little creepy. What can I say? I’m so sad that something like this can happen. (Ever, anywhere)

Yesterday was pretty much all about getting our taxes done (yet another reason to hibernate) in the morning and in the evening we had a “Sweetheart Banquet” at church. One event was decidedly more pleasant than the other.

I have been doing a little knitting, but the project I’m making the most progress on is not being tracked here (due to it being a secret swap project). The Annetrelac socks are progressing, I’ve actually turned the heel and started on the foot;



but I wanted to get more of the other pair done first… plus on the Annetrelac, there’s a yarn-sucking-pattern issue threatening… I think I’m going to have to start the second sock before I finish the first sock because my yarn cake is looking pretty skimpy in terms of doing a foot and a whole other sock.


I do have some complimentary yarn in the same weight if I need to do the contrasting heel-toe maneuver… that’s why I think I’ll probably go ahead and start sock number two before I work any more on sock number one. So that’s a little less than motivational on that pair. But, there will be less ripping and gnashing of teeth later on.

I also realize that I have a baby sweater that needs to be knit sometime in the next couple of weeks for our new grand-daughter. The baby is due the 24th. We will probably go up to MI to see her sometime in March, so in my mind there is no hurry…. But everyone knows that best-laid gift knitting plans often do go astray. I have a pattern and yarn picked out, but have been too unmotivated and only worrying about the two simultaneous pairs of socks to actually think about casting on for a baby sweater.
Good thing baby sweaters are usually quick knits, and the pattern I plan on is a very quick knit by all reports.

Since I don’t have many pictures to show of the socks I’m working, here’s the finished shot of the yarn I dyed the other day. I haven’t come up with a name.
Wow just as I was typing this, it just struck me that the purple didn’t quite turn out as bright as I hoped and is actually more … gray… so … wow…NIU colors. I think it might be fitting to call this colorway ‘Husky Love’.

3 comments:

Karen said...

So sad, isn't it? My best friend went to grad school at NIU. She remembers the building where the shootings happened very well, and is really shaken by the whole thing. I also visited her in DeKalb a couple of times while she was there, and it's so sad to think of the tragedy. Even here on the East coast, it touches us deeply.

Helen said...

Just a fellow ravelry groupie passing through to say hello.
Have a great day!
Peace.................

gumbie315 said...

Just dropping in from Ravelry to say hello! Thanks in advance for sending me a gift. I just wanted to let you know that I'm an artsy person and could help you out with your blog banner/button thing. Also, your socks look really cool. :)